My son Dante is going to have a myringoplasty tomorrow. No, it’s not a fun dance lesson to learn merengue. Quite the contrary. It’s a surgical procedure (minor surgery), to repair a hole in a child’s eardrum (tymphanic membrane). In my son’s case, after removing the ear tubes. In this surgery, the hole is going to be covered with a small piece of a special paper or gel foam that temporarily seals the hole, encouraging the body’s normal healing processes.

The ENT physician thought this was needed because my son’s been having a lot of ear drainage and to a point, a staph infection. I thought this was ironic because they wanted to put the tubes in (my daughter had a pair too, but hers fell out by themselves since a year or two ago) because the kids were prone to ear infection.

My concern was, this type of surgical procedure requires anesthesia. I’m guessing through a mask that carries air mixed with medication and I heard that the child may choose a favorite scent to flavor the air flowing through the mask. There are no shots or needles used while the child is still awake. With anesthesia, there’s always a tiny possibility that you might not be able to see them waking up. Kids or adults. There are also debates that surgery drugs will kill kids’ brain cells.

The ENT physician himself admitted that he could do the procedure as an office call and my son wouldn’t have to be under anesthesia. But he wasn’t sure if my son would be able to endure the pain. Imagine somebody poking a microscope to look at your eardrum perforation through your ear canal, then pull the tube out, finished by inserting some kind of paper ‘patch’ to close up the hole. This sounded painful to me, let alone to a six years old boy. I don’t even like it when a nurse check my temperature on the ears.

We were told to check in at the hospital at 6:30 am tomorrow morning, and then wait for about an hour to an hour and a half before the surgery starts. My son was not supposed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight tonight. This is going to be hard, since the first salutation in the morning I’d hear from him has been always, “Mom, I’m hungry.”