Today I feel like applauding these 5 actors/comedians for making five cartoon characters came to ‘life’ and full of personality and becomes my top 5 for so many years:
1. Sacha Baron Cohen >> the voice of King Julien XIII, the ring-tailed lemur in the movie Madagascar. Through Cohen’s voice, Julien became my favorite cartoon character through out these couple of years. Self-proclaimed King of the Madagascar lemurs, Julien loves to sing, dance, and be the center of attention. He is slightly deranged and overly impressed by his modest intellect. Julien speaks with a South Asian (Indian/Pakistani) or ‘Desi’ accent, which may reflect the fact that there is a large population of people of South Asian origin in Madagascar -which Cohen did superbly.
Favorite quotes from Julien:
- “Shh! We are hiding! Everyone be quiet. Including me. Shh! Who’s making that noise?! [sheepishly] Oh, it’s me again.”
- All we have to do is wait until they are deep in their sleep. [long silence] HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO TAKE?!
- [waving goodbye to Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman] See you later, crocodile! Maurice, my arm is tired. Wave it for me. Faster, you naughty little monkey.
2. Keith Ferguson >> the voice of Blooregard Q. Kazoo aka Bloo, the imaginary friend in the Cartoon Network’s show Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friend. You won’t believe how 34 year old Keith could sound so much like a nagging toddler as Bloo. Sure Bloo who is shaped as a blue, door-shaped blob is charming, but he’s got a bit of an ego; to call him self-absorbed would be an understatement. An instigator and mischief-maker, Bloo is always ready to drag on his best friend, Mac, and and the rest of the Foster’s gang on some ludicrous, ill-fatedand potentially criminal adventure. But no matter the brand of mayhem Bloo unleashes on the house, he’s always forgiven. He’s just too fun to be around.
Favorite quotes from Bloo:
- (When Mac won’t give him any of his Coco trading cards) Aw, come oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!
- (Addressing hundreds of Bloo clones) “I am Bloo, and you are my minions! Alone, you are all just knockoffs of a really cool guy, but together, we are stronger than any army! (Clones cheer) I think you know what we must do. (Clones stare at Bloo) That is right! We must all sing the theme song from the Ice charades in 100 part harmony!!!”
- (In response to Mac describing himself as Rex Carsalot and his hi-tech racecar) “ARRGH! AND I RIDE SHOTGUN!”
3. Daran Norris >> the voice of Cosmo (Fairly Oddparents), one of two of Timmy Turner’s fairy godparents. Wanda, the other fairy, is his wife and appear to be [a lot] smarter than him. Cosmo often comes off as oblivious to others’ feelings and safety, and he often undermines his wife Wanda’s attempts to protect Timmy from his own naïve and potentially dangerous wishes. She loves Cosmo, even though he is an airhead (literally; in one episode Wanda states Cosmo’s empty head is great for storage of various items, such as tissues and a picnic lunch, and when Timmy tries to read Cosmo’s thoughts he only hears elevator music).
Favorite quotes from Cosmo:
- (when he, Wanda, and Timmy are inside Timmy’s head) “Are you sure this isn’t my mind? It seems pretty empty in here…”
- “It [Super Toilet] took the plunger… THE WHOLE PLUNGER!” “Aah! So much clogging!” (curls into fetal position and sucks his thumb)
- Let’s get something straight! I’m not bright! Big words confuse me! I have the attention span of a rodent, and Wanda loves me anyway. THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR YOU!
4. John Leguizamo >> the voice of Sid the ground sloth (Ice Age the movie). Sid is the talkative type, but suffers from a lateral lisp, which makes his “S’s” and “C’s” rather “wet” or “spitty.” When we first meet Sid, he has been abandoned by his family and friends, who have left him behind for their migration south. He ultimately befriends Manny the wooly mammoth and Diego the sabre-toothed tiger. Ultimately they accept him as a member of their “herd.” In the sequel (Ice Age the Meltdown), Sid is less funny. I like the girly-shriek when Sid hid behind Manny to avoid the angry rhinos.
Favorite quotes from Sid:
5. Doug Lawrence >> the voice of Sheldon J. Plankton (SpongeBob SquarePants) which described as “1% evil, 99% hot gas” and is Mr. Krabs’ tiny little green oval-shaped one-eyed business rival. Plankton is a science wiz, and even knows how to induce thermonuclear fusion. His primary catch prase is “I went to college!!!”, which he usually says while flying back towards the Chum Bucket after one of his schemes to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula has been thwarted. Plankton lives at the Chum Bucket with Karen, his dear computer “WIFE” (Wired Integrated Female Electroencephalograph), who irritates him to no end. Plankton speaks in a deep, melodramatic voice, and enjoys pursuing various forms of villainy, such as Krabby Patty theft and trying to possess sponges by getting inside their brains.
Favorite quotes from Plankton:
- “All hail Plankton!”
- “Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of affordable comestibles! WHO WILL JOIN ME?!?” (“Plankton’s Army”)
- “I see you…ZAP!”